Training on Project Reporting, Organizational Leadership Skills and Conflict Resolution for members of Interfaith Dialogue Units (IDUs) in 10 States
Conflict and violence continues to escalate in Nigeria and more than two-thirds of the country’s 36 states are in a state of conflict. In the North west kidnapping and banditry are prevalent, to the northeast boko haram is a threat to security, the southeast is affected by the activities of separatists of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and the north central areas are faced by the intractable farmer-herders conflict. The role and activities of various actors including religious leaders have been blamed for the escalation of the various conflicts.
These issues have been attributed to the lack of an effective early warning system and the inefficiency of the Nigeria’s security architecture to respond to the rising challenges.
This initiative is the third phase of an ongoing intervention by IDFP which started with the advocacy visits to five flashpoint states which identified the lack of experience of religious leaders in detecting, reporting and responding to conflict early warning. The second phase focused on providing capacity building to religious leaders on early warning, mediation and IRD and thereafter created IDUs in 10 key states affected by conflicts. This third phase is intended to provide additional training for the IDUs to become more effective in generating, analysing early warning, responding to the challenges and to be able to track/articulate the results of their activities in their states.
Approach and expected outcome:
The initiative consists of a two day training for 30 participants each in five locations. The 10 target IDU states shall be grouped into two states per location bringing neighbouring states together who share similar experiences to enable best practice sharing and collaboration.
The states would be grouped as follows:
- Benue and Taraba states to be trained in Makurdi, Benue state
- Nasarawa and Plateau states to be trained in Lafia, Nasarawa state
- Kaduna and Zamfara to be trained in Kaduna state
- Niger and Oyo states to be trained in Ibadan, Oyo state
- Abia and Rivers to be trained in Portharcourt, Rivers state
The trainings are expeted to be facilitated by members of the IDFP, KAICIID Fellows, Kaduna Peace Commission and key Civil Society Leaders.
The expected outcomes of this project are:
- IDU members gain improved skills in writing and documenting results from their activities/initiatives.
- IDU members benefit from shared experiences of conflict and peacebuilding from across the 10 states.
- Increased collaboration and cooperation among IDU members in addressing conflicts and violence.